Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL) Discover how science and technology help us reduce disaster risk and increase resilience.
This course aims to introduce participants to existing and emerging technologies suitable for disaster risk reduction while promoting the overall aim of sustainable development. The course focuses on three main natural hazards- floods, landslides and earthquakes. It also discusses the challenges and limits of adapting and adopting technologies depending on context (Global North and Global South) with examples from Switzerland, Nepal, Colombia, Philippines and other countries.
Participants will be able to:
- Explain Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) related concepts and science and technology for DRR.
- Identify and describe existing and emerging technologies for landslide and flood reduction.
- Explain methodological tools to assess vulnerabilities and risk and strengthen the resilience of communities at risk of landslides, floods and earthquakes.
- Exemplify the role and the challenges of science and technological innovations for disaster risk reduction in an interdisciplinary manner including the importance of social aspects.
- Recognize some of the actors active in DRR and international policy frameworks and technology for DRR.
Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL), Switzerland