United Nations University, Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (UNU-MERIT) Our PhD programme is a multidisciplinary course offered by UNU-MERIT and its School of Governance. The programme focuses on research skills and methods, training fellows to become both scholars and practitioners in the fields of governance and the economics of technology. The programme provides advanced training in the knowledge ans skills most relevant to the economics of technology and innovation, and to governance, social protection and migration. Built around a core of courses on the economics of innovation the programme also features specialisations in innovation and development, social protection and migration.
During their first year, fellows complete an intensive programme of required and elective courses,taught by leading scholars of the UNU-MERIT and our partner universities. These courses are taught in English, in Maastricht, and spread across two semesters, starting in September each year. The course work is followed by three years of dissertation research and writing, ending with a completed PhD thesis. At the end of the programme, the doctoral degree is awarded by Maastricht University upon successful defence of the thesis.
Our students pursue a wide variety of dissertation topics, ﬁtting into any of the institute’s eight research themes:
1. The Economics of Knowledge and Innovation
2. Social Protection, Inclusive Innovation and Development
3. Economic Development, Innovation, Governance and Institutions
4. Sustainable Development, Innovation and Societal Transitions
5. Innovation Systems Indicators and Policy
6. Migration and Development
7. ICT-enabled Innovation and Societal Transformations
8. Population, Development and Labour Economics
United Nations University, Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (UNU-MERIT), Netherlands